Latin for the New Millennium, Levels 1 and 2, Second Edition, will be available in 2017. For information on ordering and adoptions, contact our business manager, David Fiedelman, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Latin for the New Millennium is a complete introductory course in the Latin language that has been successfully implemented at middle schools, junior highs, high schools, colleges, and universities. Levels 1 and 2 student texts are accompanied by a teacher’s manual and a workbook with its teacher’s manual. Optional enrichment texts present related mythology and history for each level.
LNM employs a fusion of the reading approach and the traditional grammar/translation method. Lessons on Latin morphology, grammar, and syntax flow from and employ examples from the Latin readings that are adapted from Roman and post-antique Latin writers. Such readings provide students a literary-rich vocabulary. Ample exercises build students’ facility with reading and writing Latin. A Talking section in each chapter provides contemporary Latin and lends itself to practicing oral Latin while the Teacher's Manuals feature a bounty of aural-oral activities and exercises.
To learn more about the “smart pedagogy” and methodology of the Latin for the New Millennium program, check out this 32-page comprehensive overview.
The Latin for the New Millennium website contains a variety of materials and resources for your exploration as you consider adopting the program.
For an overview of the changes and new material in LNM.
The Second Edition includes a list of English derivatives for the Vocabulary to Learn of each chapter (and a new exercise in the workbook) as well as an additional six new exercises that provide laddering and reinforcement as suggested by teachers using Latin for the New Millennium. The Second Edition also includes corrections and minor changes to macrons and illustrations. For a list of changes by chapter, click here.
- fusion of the best of the reading approach and the grammar-translation approach
- Latin passages in each chapter that are adapted from Latin literature
- each chapter contains an unadapted selection of classical Latin from Nepos’s Life of Atticus
- text ends with ten additional unadapted selections from the Life of Atticus for students’ transition to authors courses
- Nepos selections accompanied by facing notes and vocabulary
- clear, concise grammatical explanations that flow from the Latin readings
- abundant exercises, both Latin to English and English to Latin
- Latin Talking About a Reading section in each chapter featuring contemporary conversation topics such as “The Joys of Life”
- variety of aural/oral exercises (in Teacher's Manual)
- literary vocabulary geared to upper level literature and AP® Latin syllabi
- review unit for every three chapters
- derivative and proverb studies
- background essays on the daily life and culture of post-ancient world to complement the authentic Latin readings
- essays on the heroes of classical mythology
- essays connecting the ancient, post-ancient, and modern worlds written by university scholars
- 192 full-color illustrations, many of which are reproductions of great works of art
- three maps custom-made for Latin for the New Millennium
- student-friendly Study Tips, By the Ways, and Take Notes
- timelines of historical and literary events
Watch the overview video for Latin for the New Millennium Level 2 Second Edition
Sample pages of the Student Textbook Level 2 (These sample pages are PDF documents for viewing only, they can not be printed or copied)